Captain Carrot, I presume?

The winter vegetables were so-so. The Brussel’s sprouts were a distinct failure, got a couple of tiny broccoli, and likewise the cauliflower. Not sure if I’ll try again or not. Part of the problem has been a very warm winter, and a spring that’s more like June than March with temperatures in the 80’s. However the Romaine lettuce finally did well, and the carrots are a resounding success I’d say. Classic carrot shape, looks like something the Were Rabbit would be after. I may try another variety next year, these are ‘Danvers Half Long‘  which I’ve just discovered is an heirloom variety. I may try one of the long skinny carrots next time, like this hybrid from Burpee. I’ve tried growing carrots before when I lived in Cooks Springs, but never had any luck really. Of course these have been in the ground a long time, since last October/November if I remember correctly. Think I’ll try planting some in mid-late summer to mature after the frost hits. If there’s enough I may try canning or freezing the surplus.

The bunching onions are finally getting big enough to do something with, and the leeks are finally doing something as well. Most of this stuff was just kind of dormant through the “winter.” Except for the carrots apparently which were doing their thing underground. The leeks are in the upper left of the bed in the accompanying photo, the rest of those are the bunching onions. The beets have just done so-so. There might be one or two in there, but again I think it was too warm for them. I’ll probably pull them in the next week or so, likewise a good bit of the romaine which is, with the warmer weather, trying to bolt. Drat.

And of course, springtime in the south means azaleas. Lots and lots of azaleas.

###

The Ongoing Bar

Original Sketchup Design

I am finally, finally getting started on the bar “for real”. I’ve gotten most of the pieces cut for the cabinetry carcases. I’m using birch veneer plywood for that since I want the interior to be a lighter color than the face frames and doors which will be oak stained the same color as the wainscoting. I think the lighter color will help the contents to show up better. I’m tentatively planning on making the countertop from black granite tile, “Black Galaxy” if it’s not too expensive. Another option is to simply use the grey and white marble I already have that’s been taking up space in my shop for the last 10 years. I had originally planned to use that on the fireplace before changing my mind and using tile instead. The main drawbacks of marble is that compared to granite it’s rather delicate and prone to staining. I could probably get away with it on the bar though, as I don’t suppose it will see as much use as the kitchen counters, and sealing it well and using a cutting board would probably take care of these issues.

"In the Beginning . . . "

 

It looks pretty pitiful at the moment. It’s been like this for some months, or really (insert redface here) a couple of years. I got sort of sidetracked with the bedroom project and just didn’t feel good about working on this while the bedroom was all torn up.

We’re cooking with gas now though!

Ides of March

Been tinkering a bit with the theme. Going to take a bit of tinkering to get it like I want it really, especially since it’s a “learn as you go” type of a situation. I think I actually liked Twenty Ten better than Twenty Eleven but just the basic theme will do for now.

It’s hard to believe these tomato babies are a whole six weeks old now. Or maybe not so hard, they’re certainly doing well. Had a brief scare when they started yellowing early on (and you can see a bit of that in the photo) but although at the time I thought I may have been overwatering them, now I’m more inclined to believe that they had simply outstripped their nutrients. Shortly after that I started watering about every other time with a half-strength fertilizer solution and saw no more yellow. Actually I’m to the point where I have to harden them off, they’ve gotten so tall that there’s quite a size difference between them and a lot of the other starts (basil, parsley, lettuce, etc.) and I’m having to put the shorter plants up on an upside down flat to raise them up closer to the lights.

There’s no cold weather in the forecast for at least the next week, maybe even to the end of the month. It’s very possible I’ll be planting these babies in the next few days.

 

All gone . . .

Six months worth of posts and garden records – pffffttttt!!! – just like that. I suppose if I had really buckled down to it, I might have figured out how to clean all the hack code out of the WordPress account, but I don’t have the patience, or the inclination, or the time really. So here we go, starting from the beginning again.

But this time you can be d*mned sure I’ll be doing frequent backups.