Back Again after a very long hiatus. I keep thinking I’m going to be more proactive in keeping up with my blog, but then Facebook gets in the way. However, at least for a while, I’ve abandoned Facebook as it really is a time waster (this isn’t, of course,) and it seems like these days people have a very difficult time staying civil. Also, to paraphrase a well known meme; “Spring is coming” and I have things to do. That video doesn’t look like it, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see 70°F next week.
The snow was a bit of a surprise. Our local meteorologist mavens didn’t see it coming but my understanding was it was a very difficult forecast to pin down. We were right on the cusp of an ice/no ice line and snow wasn’t even mentioned except for the possibility of a few random flakes in amongst the wintry mix. Not to worry, it was gone by early afternoon even though the temperature never got above freezing, and was pretty while it was here.
It’s been very wet so far this winter, actually this whole past year and some. 2020 finished off with over 73 inches of rainfall! In a normal year we will get around 56 inches give or take. Even at that however, it was “only” the Birmingham area’s 5th wettest year on record according to the Alabama Climate Report.
I really can’t be having with all this rain either, because even though it’s still winter, as is obvious from the video, and is going to be winter for a couple months yet (at least technically,) as I mentioned I have things to do in the garden. It’s time for onions to go in the ground. Past time really, to which end I need to get one of the beds ready. But it’s too wet to till, and almost too wet to hand dig and that’s saying something. I know I’ve seen video of Brits out there in the rain digging in the mud and planting but I am not sure I want to go there to be honest.
We did at least get by an acquaintance’s stables a couple weeks back to pick up a truck load of much needed horse manure. Last year’s okra crop was pitiful, that is to say, non-existant with the okra only getting about two feet tall. And this was with all that rain! We got enough manure from there, plus another smaller load from an old schoolmate of Sunny’s to put 3-4 inches on the front four beds.
We also did a quick ‘n dirty replacement of the wood on the front four beds as the old wood was almost rotted completely away. The eventual plan is to get the rest of the beds replaced with the pressure treated wood with corrugated metal liners.